Bishop Auckland Astronomical Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bishop Auckland Astronomical Society

Official forum of B.A.A.S.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Introduction

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockbyter

Rockbyter

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Introduction   Introduction Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Sorry if this is totally in the wrong place, I am looking to take up star gazing and am trying to research a decent start up telescope. I was wondering if you do any introduction sessions or even allow people such as myself to have a look at what can be seen with various setups.

Regards, Jeremy
Back to top Go down
carlos
Admin
carlos

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi jeremy,
unfortunately you've just missed our latest monthly neeting, and also an 'open day' we had on Saturday 1st March.

We do often have observing sessions though, and anyone is welcome to come a long and take a look through our 'scopes.

The next meeting at the Fire Station is on Thursday April 10th, where we'll have a guest speaker - Dr Aglae Kellerer from Durham University, talking about telescopes and their future.

In the meantime, if you'd like to attend one of our observing sessions, you could keep an eye on our facebook page (facebook.com/bishastrosoc), or if you'd like, you could send me your email details by private message (don't put your email address in the open forum), and I can contact you via email when we go out observing.
Observing sessions are dependent on the weather (clouds), and usually targetted towards the week prior to, and the week after, New Moon - a bright Moon is detrimental to deep-sky viewing, so we tend to avoid 'bright-times'

best regards
karl
Back to top Go down
Rockbyter

Rockbyter

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Bit the bullet   Introduction Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Well after some deliberation and another lengthy talk to Marcus at Glovers in North Allerton I am now the owner of an Celestron Nexstar 127SLT, a Maksutov Cassegrain type and with a few bits, power pack, power lead and a Polarising filter was just over 4x the £100 I originally wanted to spend. Oh well, rather get something I will get some enjoyment out of than a pile in the cupboard. All put together but won't be using it tonight as is very hazy and overcast. That said I couldn't wait, Had a couple of good looks at Jupiter and the Moon on Wednesday and Thursday but now very overcast. Just need to get the hang of alignment as I think I was a bit out on first try.
Back to top Go down
DUANE
Admin
DUANE

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: introduction   Introduction Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi Jeremy,
Very nice to hear from you, you have a nice bit of kit there.By all means keep an eye on our website then the next time we go observing you are more than welcome to come along, do you have a car.

Regards Duane.
Back to top Go down
Rockbyter

Rockbyter

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Yes I have a car, will try and meet with people. Many questions, much to learn.
Back to top Go down
Rockbyter

Rockbyter

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Are there any recommended viewing sites in the immediate area? Garden is surrounded by street lamps and not ideal. Had a couple of decent viewing sessions with Jupiter, M42 and M44 also tried to view the Andromeda Galaxy but was not a good night so could only see a faint blur.
Back to top Go down
carlos
Admin
carlos

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi Jeremy.
I just noticed you're in Aycliffe - me too.....
We could meet up some time if you like.

I hear what you're saying about the streetlamps, I have the same problem, 5 of the things in direct line of sight from my back garden .....  Crying or Very sad 

Whereabouts (roughly) are you in Aycliffe by the way?
I'm near the cemetery and Navy-Club.
Back to top Go down
Rockbyter

Rockbyter

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2014 10:10 am

Travellers Green area, I used to frequent the Navy Club some years ago. A lad used to go in there called Mike Hennessy I think he was into Astronomy if I am not mistaken.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction   Introduction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introduction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bishop Auckland Astronomical Society :: Non Society Chat :: General Astronomy-
Jump to: