Bishop Auckland Astronomical Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bishop Auckland Astronomical Society

Official forum of B.A.A.S.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cold Night Good Night

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DUANE
Admin
DUANE

Cold Night Good Night Empty
PostSubject: Cold Night Good Night   Cold Night Good Night Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:31 am

Well,Karl,Tom,and Myself had an excellant night,it did get very cold but we persevered.I got there 17.30 hrs and set up my 20x80 bins.By the time Karl and Tom got there a half hour later i already had the Moon,Jupiter and the famous Galileans,M.81-82,M.31,and M13.Karl was awestruck at the clarity of the sky the Milky Way was stretched across the heavens in a glorious celestial arc.They both got set up,then the night really began.Karl was galaxies out the sky,from all directions.Tom was trying to take some pics of the moon but was sadly beaten as it slipped down below the horizon.
We saw a few sporadics but no confirmed Leonids at this point.I then got in M.34 perseus,33 triangulum,27 dumbbell,11 wild duck,by the end of the night when the cold got to much,between the three of us we must of clocked up at least 50 galaxies plus.
Cloud from time to time played its evil hand and at one point we had 100% cloud cover.Asthe cloud broke again it was absolutely crystal clear,Cygnus was making her way down the star studded path we know so well as the Milky Way.
Satellite activity was fairly busy with some only visible in Bins.As we were leaving Mighty Orion was coming to prominence,and i just could'nt resist a look at M.42 before i started the drive home,hazy wispy filaments were very evident as i gazed at this 1500 lt yr distant showpiece.
One last look at the Jovian giant and i headed home,all in all a cold night but a good night was had by all.

Duane.
Back to top Go down
carlos
Admin
carlos

PostSubject: Re: Cold Night Good Night   Cold Night Good Night Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Yup! An awesome sky.
Absolutely gorgeous!!!

And after a good look at Andromeda galaxy, and the Auriga clusters through those 20x80s, I've ordered meself a pair.
Ordered them this morning, and had an email about tea-time telling me they'll be here tomorrow.
Great service (assuming they do arrive as promised) from 'Telescope House'

So - after tomorrow, I'll be itching for a clear night up at Grassholme.
Shame the Moon is 'gibbous' for the next coupla weeks Sad
Back to top Go down
DUANE
Admin
DUANE

PostSubject: Re: Cold Night Good Night   Cold Night Good Night Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 8:24 am

Tell you what mate you wont regret buying them.As you know by looking through mine,AWESOME.

Duane
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cold Night Good Night   Cold Night Good Night Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold Night Good Night
Page 1 of 1